Monday, August 8, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

So I got called in late to work today and I have four ugly bananas on my counter. It's either throw them out or make something with them. Since I have the extra time, I'll surprise my family when they get home with this simple but delicious recipe.

I have been making this recipe since I found it in a cookbook given to me by my home economics teacher in seventh grade. It has been reworked a few times but it is the simplest recipe that I have ever come across and my family loves it. Today I am making mini muffins but it also makes loaves and regular muffins. The cooking times are at the end of the recipe and if you make a loaf you may want to sprinkle the top (before baking) with a little cinnamon and maybe a 1/4 cup brown sugar. It makes a nice topping. Or leave it naked... either way it's yummy! :)


Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

Photobucket

Ingredients:
3-4 ripe mushy bananas
1/3 cup butter (softened)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mash bananas. Mix with butter, brown sugar, vanilla and egg until well combined.

Add flour, salt, baking powder & baking soda and barely mix (just until incorporated).

Add chocolate chips and walnuts (if desired) and mix only enough to blend.

Put into greased pan and bake at 400 degrees for:
Glass Loaf Pan ~ 40 minutes (makes 1 loaf)
Metal Loaf Pan ~ 35 minutes (makes 1 loaf)
Regular Sized Muffins ~ 20 minutes (makes 24 muffins)
Mini Muffins ~ 12 minutes (makes 36 mini muffins)

The loaf/muffins/mini muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment